Churches & Chapels
Church of Zoodochos Pigi
The main church of the community is dedicated to Zoodochos Pigi. It was built towards the end of the 19th century, in between the years 1888-1890, on the foundations of an older church.
In 1953, a part of the church was destroyed by the powerful earthquake that struck Paphos. In 1956, the church was rebuilt and was lengthened about 20 feet on the west side.
The church of Zoodochos Pigi is a church painted fully in white, of Byzantine type, which forms a multi-edge arc on the outside and a semi-circular arc on the inside. In the middle of the church there is a dome. The inside of the church is adorned by a wooden-carved iconostasis created in 1908. Awe is caused by the icon of the Holy Virgin Mary.
Our church celebrates the holly day of Zoodochos Pigi on the sixth day of Easter.
Chapel of Saint George
In our community there is a small chapel dedicated to Saint George. This small chapel is built east, on the road leading to Agia Marina Kelokedaron. The construction of the chapel began in 2001 and was completed in 2002.
It is noteworthy that within a distance of fifty metres, on a very steep cliff, there is a “cave” that in the past used to have frescos on its walls which depicted Saint George. This cave is accessed through a very rough pathway.
Building the chapel was the wish of the deceased Andrea Hadjievaggelous who donated the land as well as a respectable amount of money. His wish was fulfilled by the brother of the donor, Iordanis Hadjievaggelous, in cooperation with the current president of the community council, Giorgos Caizer.
Amargeti Community Council
Ruins of Agios Agathonikos
The ruins of Agios Agathonikos are located in the area of the cemetery. The chapel of Agios Agathonikos has been declared an ancient monument by the Department of Antiquities and its restoration has already begun.